Family Violence Refuge
Two major factors preventing women from leaving an abusive relationship is the fear of having nowhere to go and the potential impact on their children.
Wayss Family Violence Refuge is a safe and secure place where women and their children escaping family violence are provided support and accommodation for up to six weeks.
The Refuge provides unit-style accommodation for eight women and their children around a common courtyard area. The location is confidential and highly secure. The site is staffed 24 hours a day and is an alcohol and drug-free facility.
What we do?
The Refuge supports women and their children fleeing family violence and provides support to access safe accommodation and support to live a life free from violence.
The women are supported with:
- Safety planning and intervention orders (IVOs)
- Identifying individual needs and setting goals
- Advocacy with Centrelink
- Support to find safe and secure housing
- Referrals to external services, such as legal , immigration services, counselling, parenting and financial services.
- Cultural needs, such as interpreters, appropriate food sourcing.
- Support to access disability needs.
- Support for children with onsite Children’s Worker.
Who can access the Refuge?
People who identify as female and their children who are not safe to remain in their home due to family violence.