Family Violence Refuge
Two major factors preventing women from leaving an abusive relationship are the fear of having nowhere to go and the potential impact on their children.
Refuge accommodation is a safe and secure place where women and women with children escaping family violence are provided with support and accommodation for up to six weeks.
What kind of support?
Support that can be provided by a family violence refuge includes:
- Risk assessment and safety plans
- Support to seek a Family Violence Intervention Order
- Identifying individual needs and setting goals
- Support to deal with Centrelink
- Support to explore safe and secure housing
- Referrals to other services including legal, immigration services, counselling, parenting and financial services.
- Cultural support including specific foods and interpreting services.
- Support with special needs.
- Support for children.
Who can access a family violence refuge?
Individuals who identify as female and individuals who identify as female with accompanying children who are not safe to remain in their home due to family violence.